In this blog post, we will see how to turn off / disable Windows Copilot using Intune. Windows Copilot feature will be Introduced with Windows 23H2 feature pack, However you can get preview version of it right now, if you Install KB5030310 patch, which is also referred to as Windows 11 22H2 Moments 4.
There are two ways to Install Windows 11 22H2 Moments 4. Once you Install this feature pack, you will notice Copilot Icon is automatically pinned to Windows 11 taskbar for all users using that device.
In my previous blog post, I have provided the 4 ways to remove Copilot on a Windows 11 device. If you are not using this feature then it’s best to keep It disabled.
You can use Intune to disable Windows Copilot on windows devices by using a CSP setting called TurnOffWindowsCopilot. Let’s check the steps:
Table of Contents
Policy CSP setting for disabling Windows Copilot
Currently, Windows copilot settings are not yet available in the Settings Catalog. Therefore, a custom device configuration profile can be created by using a CSP setting TurnOffWindowsCopilot.
- TurnOffWindowsCopilot = 1 will disable Copilot. Users will not be able to use Copilot and Copilot Pinned taskbar Icon will not hide.
- TurnOffWindowsCopilot = 0 will Enable Copilot. Users will be able to use Copilot.
STEP 1 – Create a Device Configuration Profile
Now that we know the Policy CSP that can be used to disable Windows Copilot, we will create a custom device configuration profile using above OMA-URI setting and apply it to end users. Please follow below steps to create a Custom device configuration profile.
- Sign in to Intune admin center
- Click on Devices > Configuration profiles
- Click on + Create profile
- Platform: Windows 10 and later
- Profile type: Templates
- Template name: Custom
Provide a Name and Description of the profile. For Example:
- Name: Disable Windows Copilot
- Description: This custom device configuration profile will disable Windows Copilot
Click on Add button to add OMA-URI Setting. Provide below values in the given fields:
- Name: Disable Windows Copilot
- Description: Policy CSP to disable Windows Copilot
- OMA-URI: ./User/Vendor/MSFT/Policy/Config/WindowsAI/TurnOffWindowsCopilot
- Data type: Integer
- Value: 1
- Click on Save to proceed to the next step.
Click on Add group to add an Entra ID group containing users or devices. You can also click on Add all users or Add all devices.
Review + create
Review the deployment and click on Create to start the deployment process.
Sync Intune Policies
The device check-in process might not begin immediately. If you’re testing this policy on a test device, you can manually kickstart Intune sync either from the device itself or remotely through the Intune admin center.
Alternatively, you can use PowerShell to force the Intune sync on Windows devices. Another way to trigger the Intune device check-in process is by restarting the device.
STEP 2 – Monitoring Deployment Progress
To monitor the deployment progress of a Device configuration profile, follow below steps:
- Sign in to the Microsoft Intune admin center.
- Click on “Devices” and then select “Configuration profiles“
- Choose the Device Configuration profile you want to work with, and at the top of the page, you’ll see a quick view of the Success, Failure, Conflict, Not Applicable, and In Progress status.
- Click on “View report” to access more detailed information.
After this policy is applied successfully, Windows Copilot Icon from taskbar will be removed and users will not be able to use Windows Copilot feature on Windows 11 devices.
- Right-click on Windows 11 taskbar and click on Taskbar Settings.
- After you click on Taskbar Settings, it will directly open Taskbar settings which can also be navigated from Settings App > Personalization > Taskbar.
- You will notice that Copilot configuration toggle is hidden now. Therefore, users will not be able to use Copilot on Windows 11 devices.
What’s the registry key for disabling Windows Copilot?
Registry key for disabling Windows Copilot is HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsCopilot. Create a DWORD registry entry under this key called TurnOffWindowsCopilot and set its value to 1. For more information, refer to the post: 3 Ways To Remove Copilot From Windows 11 Taskbar.
What’s the Group policy setting for disabling Windows Copilot?
Group policy setting for disabling Windows Copilot can be found under User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Copilot. On right-hand side double-click on “Turn off Windows Copilot” and set it to Enabled. For more information, refer to the post: 3 Ways To Remove Copilot From Windows 11 Taskbar.
Where to find logs related to Intune Device configuration profile deployment?
To find logs related to your deployment, Open Event Viewer > Application and Services Logs > Microsoft > Windows > DeviceManagement-Enterprise-Diagnostics-Provider > Admin. Right-click on Admin folder > Filter Current log. Filter it using Event ID 813 or 814 and go through the logs to find logs related to a particular Intune deployment.
I want to read more about Windows Copilot.
You can read more about Windows Copilot and its feature set by visiting this link: Copilot in Windows & Other AI-Powered Features | Microsoft