Table of Contents
Windows Copilot is a new AI-powered intelligent assistant that is integrated into Windows 11. Windows Copilot feature will be available in Windows 11 23H2. This feature is also available in preview mode when you install KB5030310 patch, which is also referred to as Windows 11 22H2 Moments 4.
After installing Windows 11 22H2 Moments 4, you can look forward to a lot of new features. Here are some of the highlights:
- “Combine taskbar buttons and hide labels” to group/ungroup taskbar Icons.
- Native Support for 7-zip and RAR.
- MS Paint application enhancements.
- New Volume Mixer layout etc.
There are two ways to Install the optional Windows 11 22H2 Moments 4 feature update.
- Using Settings App > Windows Update.
- Visit Microsoft Update Catalog site and search for KB5030310 patch. Click on Download to start downloading this feature update.
1. Hide Copilot Icon from Windows 11 taskbar manually
After Installing Windows 11 22H2 Moments 4 feature update, you will find Windows Copilot Icon pinned to the taskbar. If you are not using it, you can simply hide it using below steps:
- Right-click on Windows 11 taskbar and click on Taskbar Settings.
- After you click on Taskbar Settings, it will directly open Taskbar settings which can also be navigated from Settings App > Personalization > Taskbar. Switch off the toggle next to Copilot to remove Copilot Icon from taskbar.
2. Hide Copilot Icon from Windows 11 using Windows Registry
You can also hide Copilot Icon from Windows 11 taskbar by using registry editor. A DWORD registry entry called TurnOffWindowsCopilot can be created to hide it. Let’s check the steps to hide this Icon by using registry editor:
- Press Windows + R keys to open the Run dialog box
- Type regedit and press enter to open Registry editor.
- Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows and create a registry key called WindowsCopilot.
- Under this key create a DWORD registry entry called TurnOffWindowsCopilot and set its value to 1.
- Logout and Login back in on the device to complete this process.
TurnOffWindowsCopilot under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows node will hide Copilot from any user who will login on that device.
You can also use ShowCopilotButton DWORD entry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced and set its value to 0 to hide Copilot Icon from taskbar. However, my prefered approach is to use TurnOffWindowsCopilot registry entry as shown above.ShowCopilotButton
3. Hide/Remove Copilot from Windows 11 taskbar using Group Policy
If you are managing your organization devices using On-premise Active directory or by using Hybrid Azure AD join method, you can utilize Active directory group policy to turn off or remove Copilot Icon from Windows 11 taskbar. Please follow below steps to create a group policy object and configure “Turn off Windows Copilot” setting.
- Press Windows + R keys to open Run dialog box.
gpedit.mscand press enter to open Group policy management console.
- You can create a new Group policy object or use an existing one to configure below setting.
- Navigate to User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Copilot.
- Under Windows Copilot folder, you can find “Tun off Windows Copilot” policy setting. Double-click on it to configure.
- Set it to Enabled and apply it to an OU containing users. This will hide Copilot Icon from taskbar on Windows 11 devices. [Please note, user’s will need to Sign-out and Sign back in to get this policy affected].
4. Disable Windows Copilot using Intune
You can also disable Windows Copilot by utilizing Intune. For detailed instructions, please refer to this step-by-step guide that explains how to disable Windows Copilot using the Intune admin center.