When you are troubleshooting issues related to Microsoft 365 apps for Enterprise application, You may try a lot of troubleshooting steps but the issue is not fixed. In the end, you decide to completely Uninstall/remove Microsoft 365 apps from that Windows device and reinstall it.
You can either go to the Control Panel > Programs and Features to uninstall Microsoft 365 but this will not perform a clean uninstall. A better way to do it by using Uninstall Support Tool which is provided by Microsoft.
In the next sections of this blog post, we will see how to download and Install this tool to remove Microsoft 365 apps and once Microsoft 365 apps is Uninstalled completely, we will see how to download and reinstall it.
Please make sure you are having local administrator rights on the device from which you are Uninstalling/Removing Microsoft 365 apps.
Steps to Completely Uninstall Microsoft 365 apps on Windows
First you need to download the tool from Microsoft Support Website. Once you click on Download button, it will download a file called SetupProd_OffScrub.exe.
- Right click on the downloaded file SetupProd_OffScrub.exe and right-click on Run as administrator to run the file as administrator.
- Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device ? Yes
- After you click on Yes, application will launch and Verify application requirements.
- On the Application Install window, click on Install to proceed.
- Installation in Progress…
- Click on I agree on Microsoft Services Agreement for Microsoft Support and Recovery Assitant.
- Next screen will show, Troubleshooting the Issue which will scan your device to find Microsoft 365 application installed on your device.
- After a scan of the system is completed, If that system has any Microsoft office or Microsoft 365 Apps for enterprise Installed then it will provide a list of all Office products.
- As shown in below screenshot, scanning on my device found Microsoft 365 apps for enterprise application. Select this application and click on Next to proceed with the removal process.
- Please note that a restart of your system will be required to complete the uninstallation process. Please save all your work, close all the office related applications and stop any other running software / applications. Once you are ready then select the checkbox “I have saved all my work, closed open Office applications and stopped any other setup program.”. Click on Next to Proceed.
- Uninstall and removal process will begin. This will cleanup any associated registry keys and application files from your device.
- On the next screen it says Restart your computer. Click on Restart to proceed.
- Restarting the computer…
- After restart, the setup will resume and will show below screen, click on No to exit out of the Microsoft Support and Recovery assistant.
You can also click on Yes, but it will take you through couple of pop-ups and authentication process and eventually will show Office 365 ProPlus screen which will install Microsoft 365 apps for enterprise.
I will prefer to use https://portal.office.com to download and Install Microsoft 365 apps. I have provided the steps for the same in the next section of this blog post.
- If you want, you can leave the rating and click on Submit.
Steps to download and Install Microsoft 365 apps
Now that Microsoft 365 apps are completely removed from your device, you can perform a fresh install. Please follow below steps to Install Microsoft 365 apps for Enterprise:
- Login on Microsoft Office Portal
- On Right hand side on the home page you will find a drop down button called Install Office. Click on the drop down and select Office 365 apps.
- This will download a file on your device called OfficeSetup.exe. If you are unable to find this file, generally its downloaded in your Downloads folder location C:\users\<userid>\Downloads or use Quick access to reach to Downloads folder.
- Microsoft 365 Apps for Enterprise Installation Progress.
In this blog post, we have seen how to Uninstall Microsoft 365 apps for Enterprise completely using Microsoft provided Uninstall Support Tool / Microsoft Support and Recovery assistant. Using this tool will not only uninstall the application but clean all traces of it including remaining files after installation and registry entries. It helps when troubleshooting issues related to corrupt office installation and you can fix it by reinstalling a fresh copy of Microsoft 365 apps.