When troubleshooting persistent issues with Microsoft 365 apps, if all other steps fail, you might consider completely uninstalling or removing Microsoft 365 apps from the Windows device and then reinstalling them. This can be a last-resort solution for problems that can’t be resolved through other troubleshooting methods.
Uninstalling Microsoft 365 apps through the Control Panel’s Programs and Features may not result in a clean uninstall. To ensure a more thorough uninstallation, it’s advisable to use the Uninstall Support Tool provided by Microsoft. This tool can help remove all traces of Microsoft 365 apps from your Windows device.
Upcoming sections of this blog post will guide you through the process of downloading and installing the Microsoft 365 apps Uninstall Support Tool. After the successful removal of Microsoft 365 apps, we’ll then cover the steps to download and reinstall the Microsoft 365 apps again.
Ensure that you have local administrator privileges on the device from which you intend to uninstall or remove Microsoft 365 apps. Administrative rights are necessary for these operations.Note
Steps to Completely Remove Microsoft 365 Apps on Windows 10/11
- First, you need to download Uninstall Support Tool from Microsoft Support Website. Once you click on Download button, it will download a file called SetupProd_OffScrub.exe.
- Right-click on the downloaded file SetupProd_OffScrub.exe and click Run as administrator to run it with administrator rights.
- Click on Yes.
- After you click on Yes, application will launch and Verify application requirements.
- On the Application Install window, click on Install to proceed.
- Installation in Progress…
- Click on I agree on Microsoft Services Agreement for Microsoft Support and Recovery Assitant.
- Next screen will show, Troubleshooting the Issue which will scan your device to find Microsoft 365 application installed on your device.
- Once the system scan is complete, the tool will generate a list of all installed Office products, including Microsoft Office or Microsoft 365 Apps for enterprise, if they exist on the system.
- As shown in the screenshot below, the scan on my device identified the presence of the Microsoft 365 Apps for enterprise. Simply select this application and click “Next” to continue with the removal process.
- It’s important to note that a system restart will be necessary to complete the uninstallation process. Be sure to save all your work, close any open Office applications, and stop any other running software or applications.
- Once you are ready, select the checkbox that says “I have saved all my work, closed open Office applications, and stopped any other setup programs.” Then, click “Next” to proceed.
- The uninstall and removal process will now commence, cleaning up any associated registry keys and application files from your device.
- Click on Restart to restart your device.
- Restarting the computer…
- After restart, the setup will resume and will show below screen, click on No to exit out of the Microsoft Support and Recovery assistant.
You can also click on Yes, but it will take you through couple of pop-ups and authentication process and eventually will show Office 365 ProPlus screen which will install Microsoft 365 apps for enterprise.
I will prefer to use https://portal.office.com to download and Install Microsoft 365 apps. I have provided the steps for the same in the next section of this blog post.
- If you want, you can leave the rating and click on Submit.
Download and Install Microsoft 365 Apps
Now that Microsoft 365 apps have been completely removed from your device, you can proceed with a fresh installation. Please follow the steps below to install Microsoft 365 apps for Enterprise:
- Login on the Microsoft Office Portal
- On the right-hand side of the home page, you will find a drop-down button called Install Office. Click on the drop-down and select Office 365 apps.
- This will download a file called OfficeSetup.exe to your device. If you’re unable to locate this file, it is typically downloaded to your system’s Downloads folder, located at C:\users<userid>\Downloads. You can also use Quick Access to navigate to the Downloads folder.
- Microsoft 365 Apps for Enterprise Installation Progress.
In this blog post, we’ve learned how to completely uninstall Microsoft 365 apps for Enterprise using the Microsoft-provided Uninstall Support Tool or Microsoft Support and Recovery Assistant.
This tool ensures a thorough removal of the application, including any remaining files and registry entries, making it useful for troubleshooting issues related to a corrupted office installation. By following these steps, you can resolve such problems by reinstalling a fresh copy of Microsoft 365 apps.