In this blog post, we will see how to add, assign, delete and monitor Managed Google Play store apps using Microsoft Intune. To Apply App Protection Policies or App configuration Policies, you will need to add the apps and assign it to the users. If you want to manage iOS store apps, you can check out my other blog post which shows you how you can manage apps for iOS devices using Microsoft Intune. Blog Post Link: https://cloudinfra.net/how-to-add-assign-delete-monitor-ios-store-apps-in-microsoft-intune/
Add Managed Google Play Store Apps
Please follow below steps to add Managed Google Play Store Apps
- Login on Microsoft Endpoint Manager admin center.
- Click on Apps -> App apps -> Click on + Add
Select Managed Google play app from the App type drop down and click Select.
Search for the App you want to Add /manage with Intune.
Click on the App and Select Approve.
Click on Approve again.
Select Keep approved when app requests new permissions. This is needed to allow the automatic updates of the app. Click Done.
Click on Select and then Click Sync.
|If you are Synchronizing multiple Google Play Apps with Intune Portal. You can Search for app -> Approve app -> Press Select button – > Search for the next app -> Approve -> Press Select button and click on Sync button only once to Sync all Managed Google Play apps with intune to save time.|
Once the App is synced to the console, you can see it under All Apps.
Assign Managed Google Play Store Apps
Under All Apps, Select the App which you want to assign it to the users and Click on Properties tab under manage. Click on Edit next to Assignments.
In the Assignment tab, If you assign the app to a group under Required, app will be automatically installed on users phone, there is no action required from users end (Note: when using MAM solution, users still have to install the app from app store on iOS or google play store on Android manually). When the app is assigned to a group under Available for enrolled devices, the app will be available for installation via the Company Portal App for enrolled devices and user will have to install the app manually. Last option is to go with Available with or without enrollment.
Official definition of assignments
- Required: Select the groups for which you want to make this app required. Required apps are installed automatically on enrolled devices. Some platforms may have additional prompts for the end user to acknowledge before app installation begins.
- Available for enrolled devices – Select the groups for which you want to make this app available. Available for enrolled devices apps are displayed in the Company Portal app and website for users to optionally install. Available assignments are only valid for User Groups, not device groups.
- Available with or without enrollment – Select the groups for which you want to make this app available with or without enrollment. Apps with this assignment are displayed in the Company Portal app and website for users to optionally install without requiring the device to be enrolled. Available assignments are only valid for User Groups, not device groups.
Delete Managed Google Play Store Apps
To delete the app and all its assignments, Simply Go to All apps -> Select the App you wish to delete -> Right-Click on it or Click on three dots on the right hand site and select delete.
You can also delete the App by clicking on the App and then click on Delete button to delete the application.
Monitor Managed Google Play Store Apps
For Monitoring the App Installation and checking the status, you can use below steps:
- Once you are logged on to Microsoft Endpoint Manager admin Center -> Click on All Apps.
- Select / Open the App for which you want to check the Installation status.
- You can check the Overview Tab for Device status or User Status or you can check Device Install Status or User Install Stauts under Monitor tab.