In this blog post, we’ll explore the process of adding, assigning, deleting, and monitoring Managed Google Play store apps through Microsoft Intune. To apply App Protection Policies or App Configuration Policies, the initial steps involve adding the apps and then assigning them to the users.
In addition to managing Google Play Store apps through the Microsoft Intune admin center, you can also manage iOS store apps using the same platform. For more information on managing iOS store apps in Intune, you can refer to the blog post titled “How to manage iOS store apps using Intune.”
Table of Contents
1. Add Apps from Google Play Store on Intune
To deploy applications to end-user Android mobile devices, the initial step is to add the applications in the Microsoft Intune admin center. Once the applications are added, you can then assign them to users, for the deployment process.
To add applications from the Google Play Store via the Intune admin center, please follow the steps below:
- Login on Microsoft Intune admin center
- Click on Apps > All apps > Click on +Add.
- Select Managed Google Play app from the App type drop-down and click Select.
- Search for the App you want to Add /manage with Intune.
- Click on the App and Select Approve.
- Click on Approve.
- Select Keep approved when app requests new permissions. This is needed to allow the automatic updates of the app. Click Done.
- Click on Select and then Click Sync.
If you want to add multiple Google Play Store apps on Intune. You can Search for app > Approve app > Press Select button > Search for the next app > Approve > Press Select button and click on Sync button only once to Sync all Managed Google Play apps with intune to save time.Time saving Tip
- Once all the Apps are synced, you can find it under All Apps.
2. Assign Google Play store apps to users
Navigate to the “All Apps” section and choose the app you wish to assign to users. Then, click on the “Properties” tab under “Manage” and select “Edit” next to “Assignments.”
- Required: Automatic installation on user’s phones; no user action needed. (Note: MAM solution requires manual app installation from app stores on iOS and Android).
- Available for enrolled devices: Assign the App to groups of users who can install the app from the Company Portal app or website.
- Available with or without enrollment: Assign this app to groups of users whose devices are not enrolled with Intune. Users must be assigned an Intune license.
3. Delete Google Play Store Apps from Intune
To remove a Google Play Store app and its assignments, follow these steps: Go to “All apps,” choose the app to delete, and then right-click or click the three dots on the right-hand side, and select “delete.”
You can also delete the app by opening its deployment and clicking on the “Delete” button to remove the application.
4. Monitor Google Play Store Apps on Intune
To Monitor app installations and check their status, you can follow these steps:
- Login on Microsoft Intune admin center.
- Click “All Apps.”
- Choose the app you want to check the installation status for.
- You can find the device and user installation status in the “Overview” tab or under “Monitor” with “Device Install Status” and “User Install Status.”