In this blog post, we will see how to add, assign, delete and monitor Managed Google Play store apps using Microsoft Intune. To be able to apply App Protection Policies or App configuration Policies, you first need to add the apps and then assign it to the users.
Not only you can manage Google play store apps using Microsoft Intune admin center but you can also manage iOS store apps using Intune admin center. If you want to know more about how to manage iOS store apps on Intune then you can check the blog post: How to manage iOS store apps using Intune.
How to add apps from Google play store on Intune
To be able to deploy the applications to End user android mobile devices. You first need to add the applications on Microsoft Intune admin center. After applications are added, you can assign the applications to users so that it could be deployed.
Please follow below steps to add applications from Google play store using Intune admin center.
- Login on Microsoft Intune admin center
- Click on Apps -> All apps -> Click on + Add
- Select Managed Google play app from the App type drop down and click Select.
- Search for the App you want to Add /manage with Intune.
- Click on the App and Select Approve.
- Click on Approve.
- Select Keep approved when app requests new permissions. This is needed to allow the automatic updates of the app. Click Done.
- Click on Select and then Click Sync.
|If you are Synchronizing multiple Google Play Apps with Intune Portal. You can Search for app -> Approve app -> Press Select button – > Search for the next app -> Approve -> Press Select button and click on Sync button only once to Sync all Managed Google Play apps with intune to save time.|
Once the App is synced to the console, you can see it under All Apps.
How to assign apps from Google play store on Intune
Under All Apps, Select the App which you want to assign it to the users and Click on Properties tab under manage. Click on Edit next to Assignments.
In the Assignment tab, If you assign the app to a group under Required, app will be automatically installed on users phone, there is no action required from users end (Note: when using MAM solution, users still have to install the app from app store on iOS or google play store on Android manually). When the app is assigned to a group under Available for enrolled devices, the app will be available for installation via the Company Portal App for enrolled devices and user will have to install the app manually. Last option is to go with Available with or without enrollment.
Official definition of assignments
- Required: Select the groups for which you want to make this app required. Required apps are installed automatically on enrolled devices. Some platforms may have additional prompts for the end user to acknowledge before app installation begins.
- Available for enrolled devices – Select the groups for which you want to make this app available. Available for enrolled devices apps are displayed in the Company Portal app and website for users to optionally install. Available assignments are only valid for User Groups, not device groups.
- Available with or without enrollment – Select the groups for which you want to make this app available with or without enrollment. Apps with this assignment are displayed in the Company Portal app and website for users to optionally install without requiring the device to be enrolled. Available assignments are only valid for User Groups, not device groups.
How to delete apps from Google play store on Intune
To delete the app and all its assignments, Simply Go to All apps -> Select the App you wish to delete -> Right-Click on it or Click on three dots on the right hand site and select delete.
You can also delete the App by clicking on the App and then click on Delete button to delete the application.
How to monitor apps from Google play store on Intune
For Monitoring the App Installation and checking the status, you can use below steps:
- Once you are logged on to Microsoft Endpoint Manager admin Center -> Click on All Apps.
- Select / Open the App for which you want to check the Installation status.
- You can check the Overview Tab for Device status or User Status or you can check Device Install Status or User Install Stauts under Monitor tab.
As you have seen how easy it is to manage Google play store apps from Microsoft Intune admin center. You can monitor the application from Intune admin center and also you can troubleshoot it on the end user device as well. You can also easily manage iOS store apps using Intune. You can read about it here: How To Manage IOS Store Apps Using Intune.